KENYA SITUATIONAL UPDATE AS AT 15.30 GMT 02 JANUARY 2008
Please find to follow an update from the Kenya Tourist Board to reflect the current position in Kenya with regards to the localised incidents that have taken place since the General Election Results were announced.
- The three direct scheduled carriers, Kenya Airways, British Airways & Virgin Atlantic Airways that fly from London Heathrow to Nairobi International Airport continue to operate their daily scheduled services.
- The Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) has confirmed that all UK charter services to Mombasa International Airport continue to operate normally without disruption and that normal booking terms & conditions apply.
- Domestic carriers continue to operate full scheduled services within Kenya and these include Kenya Airways, Air Kenya and Safarlink. Kenya Airways has reinstated its service between Nairobi and Kisumu.
- There is a strong Police presence along all the main roads and highways between the airports and the City hotels and as a result, traffic is moving along these routes without a problem. The main roads and highways linking Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Wilson Airport and the Nairobi city hotels are also all secured and tourist vehicles are able to be driven along these routes as normal.
- The situation is similar in Mombasa and the roads are clear. The Tourist Police Unit (TPU) in Mombasa are providing an escort service between the hotels and the airport in a convoy for ease of logistics. The Likoni ferry used by visitors to the south coast is operating normally.
- The disturbances that have occurred have taken place in areas not normally visited by tourists.
- Safaris to the main game parks continue to operate as normal both by air and by road. TPU is also available to assist tour operators and hoteliers as the need may arise.
- The situation in the main cities of Nairobi and Mombasa is slowly coming back to normal with shops, banks and businesses re-opening after the New Year public holidays.
- Fuel and food deliveries have resumed after 8 days of limited replenishment due to the festive season and election public holidays.
- The Foreign & Commonwealth Office Travel Advisory is being consistently updated and should be referred to frequently. www.fco.gov.uk
We shall continue to provide updates on a daily basis as the situation changes. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can provide any assistance as follows. Trade enquiries should be directed to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org 0207 367 0927 / 07903 653649
- email@example.com 0207 367 0928 / 07956 896561
Media enquiries should be directed to:
Kenya Tourist Board UK
- firstname.lastname@example.org 020 7367 0903 / 07876 578083
- email@example.com 020 7367 0910 / 07748 843634